Easy Tomato Basil Soup – from my friend Pat
Dry Oregano Dry Basil Salt & pepper 2 T olive oil 1 can of crushed or diced tomato – regular size 2 cans of Progresso Tomato Basil soup 2 can of Progresso Creamy Tomato soup / or Campbell’s tomato soup 1/2 & 1/2
– Place oil in soup pot – heat and add dry spices. Let the spices simmer and sizzle for a few minutes. This allows the spices to penetrate the oil.
– Add the crushed diced tomatoes and let simmer a few minutes. Use a potato masher to break the tomatoes down.
– Add the other cans of soup.
– When the soup is hot (careful not to scorch), slowly add enough 1/2 & 1/2 to change the color of the soup to a reddish pink.
Once you have added the 1/2 & 1/2 serve immediately. Do not bring it to a boil again.
Italian Vegetable Soup –my daughter Anj
Ground beef, turkey or sausage optional
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 cloves garlic minced
1 – 16 oz. can tomatoes
1 – 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 -15 oz. can red kidney beans
2 cups water
5 t. beef bouillon
1 t. parsley flakes
1 t. salt
1/2 .t oregano
1/2 t. sweet basil
1/4 t. black pepper
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup elbow macaroni
Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top of each bowl
Brown meat in large kettle, and drain off any fat. Add all other ingredients except
cabbage, green beans and macaroni, and bring to a bowl – then simmer for 20 minutes .
Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables
are tender. This soup can be made a day ahead for the best flavor.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 – chicken breast halves
1 garlic clove / minced
2 T butter
2 14 oz. can chicken broth
2 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup cilantro / chopped
1 T ground cumin / or more
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese / cubed
– Cook, de-bone and shred chicken
– Add minced garlic to butter in slow cooker & sauté
– Add and combine all other ingredients except toppings
– Cover and cook on low 8 – 10 hours
– Divide cheese among 6 individual soup bowls placing in the bottom of each
– Ladle soup over cheese
– Top with crushed chips and a dollop of sour cream